Thread: Puppy drinks his own urine in the crate at night

Registered Junior Puppy Member

Unhappy Puppy drinks his own urine in the crate at night

I'm on here because I really need some help with my dog Chewie.
    He is a small 6 months old Yorkshire Terrier.
    We bought him from a Kennel here in Belgium.
    He has had previous owners for a while, but they brought him back because he had scabies. We treated his scabies. ( We found out later because the kennel owners didn't tell us anything about that when we bought him)
    He is a very sweet, calm and silent dog. You almost forget it's a dog because he never barks.
    I have had other dogs before him: Maltese, Cocker Spaniel, Westie Terrier.
    But Chewie is different from my other dogs. So I'll list the problems up and if you know the answer to one of them please contact me.
    First of all he really hates his crate. He starts barking in it and making a lot of noise. (Thats the only time he barks really)
    We put him in the crate with some old newspapers. He pees on them every night with some exceptions. We do the usual stuff like bringing him outside etc...
    When there are no newspapers in the crate, he still pees at night and he even drinks the pee. We know that because his whole moth and belly is wet and stinks and when this is the case the crate is dry. So he drank his urine.
    I don't know if he does that to stay clean or to not upset us. But this is the major issue.
    I also think his previous owners thought him to pee on newspapers because he likes to pee on them. Even on the newspapers where his foodbowls are on.
    This is the major problem that needs to be solved. We want him to stay calm in the crate and sleep and hold his pee untill the next morning. We Always take him out before and after he has slept.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum, hopefully you get some answers to your questions and concerns.

If he is not enjoying his crate maybe try helping him a bit more with the adjustment. Where is the crate located in your home?

When it's time for him to go in there at night or during nap time or even set aside a 30 minute period during the day for him to be in there give him something that he only gets in his crate. A special bone or treat that he really likes, a toy, something he loves but only gets in his crate.

Part of the peeing in the crate and then licking it up might be because of space. If the kennel is only big enough for him to lay down he may have an accident and then attempt to 'clean' it as much as possible in order to lay down. Maybe try increasing the size of the kennel and instead of using newspaper try puppy training pads. They are more absorbent, so less chance of him laying in pee.

I'm sure others will have ideas, these are just what helped when I kennel trained my Aussie puppy.
    Emma, Hambone (Irish Wolfhound 10.29.09) & Abigale (Irish Wolfhound 3.5.07)

http://ithappenedonagurney.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the answer!
    I will definitely will try using the toy when he has to go into the crate.
    The crate he has is way too big for him, we thought he would grow a little like our other dogs did, but he didn't. I went to a dog trainer with my second dog and she told me to put a box inside of the crate of the crate is too big for the dog. This way the dog wont create a corner where he urinates and poops and another corner where he sleeps. Putting the box would limit the dogs space to only sleeping. Do you think its better to remove the box and give my dog more space? Because even with the box he has still got a lot of space.
    So you also think he drinks the urine so that he doesn't have to lay in it? That was one of my ideas as well. I'll try to find these puppy training pads.
    But would you know how to teach the dog to hold up his bladder and not pee at all during the night?
    Thanks again for the answer!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the answer!
    I will definitely will try using the toy when he has to go into the crate.
    The crate he has is way too big for him, we thought he would grow a little like our other dogs did, but he didn't. I went to a dog trainer with my second dog and she told me to put a box inside of the crate of the crate is too big for the dog. This way the dog wont create a corner where he urinates and poops and another corner where he sleeps. Putting the box would limit the dogs space to only sleeping. Do you think its better to remove the box and give my dog more space? Because even with the box he has still got a lot of space.
    So you also think he drinks the urine so that he doesn't have to lay in it? That was one of my ideas as well. I'll try to find these puppy training pads.
    But would you know how to teach the dog to hold up his bladder and not pee at all during the night?
    Thanks again for the answer!

Oow and my dogs crate is in the laundry room. The laundry is done at daylight and he is never in his crate at that time, so there are no loud noises at night that could bother him.

- - - Updated - - -

Oow and my dogs crate is in the laundry room. The laundry is done at daylight and he is never in his crate at that time, so there are no loud noises at night that could bother him.

Blog Entries
    Removing the box is optional, if he has plenty of space with it in there I don't see where it is hurting, but you might take it out for a few nights and see how he does.

As for holding his bladder all night, it's just a lot of patience and timing. We currently have 2 eight month old puppies who will hold it through the night but I do not allow water intake about an hour before bed, I make sure they get a good run around and play time in before sleep time and we built up to holding it all night. When they were younger we took them out in the middle of the night, we would take them out right before it was their bedtime, then again about 3 hours later. They didn't get to play or drink, just go out and potty. Then it was time to get up in about 3 more hours and when they get up in the morning they get however much water they want and get to play. Now they hold it for 6-8 hours at night depending on the night. They will also cry to tell me they have to go in the morning and once and while in the middle of the night if one of them isn't feeling well. Maybe you want to put your puppy where you can hear if he is crying at night to go potty.
    Emma, Hambone (Irish Wolfhound 10.29.09) & Abigale (Irish Wolfhound 3.5.07)

http://ithappenedonagurney.blogspot.com/

That's a good strategy! I'll definitely try it. A lot of patience is indeed very important.
    I know Chewie can hold it up to 8 hours if he wants too. When I'm working at my desk he stays in his bed right beside me, sleeping all day. When I'm done working I go out with him and play so he gets rid of the energy.
    It's more a matter of him understanding that he can't pee in the crate and just has to hold it.
    So I'll try your schedule of taking the puppy outside in the middle of the night.
    Thanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good strategy! I'll definitely try it. A lot of patience is indeed very important.
    I know Chewie can hold it up to 8 hours if he wants too. When I'm working at my desk he stays in his bed right beside me, sleeping all day. When I'm done working I go out with him and play so he gets rid of the energy.
    It's more a matter of him understanding that he can't pee in the crate and just has to hold it.
    So I'll try your schedule of taking the puppy outside in the middle of the night.
    Thanks for your help!

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If he was raised in a small kennel (pet store or puppy mill dog), he may not get over behaviors that he learned in early life. If he is already used to pooping/peeing in his own small space and lying in it or doing whatever, you may not be able to reverse that. You may want to change strategies to a small room/small pen, or tethering.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

More dogs than sense Senior Dog Member+ Diamond T's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    If he was raised in a small kennel (pet store or puppy mill dog), he may not get over behaviors that he learned in early life. If he is already used to pooping/peeing in his own small space and lying in it or doing whatever, you may not be able to reverse that. You may want to change strategies to a small room/small pen, or tethering.
    ^^this is what I am thinking. Using the papers and his crate is a learned behavior and very difficult to train. It may be better to change tactics.

Using the toy in the crate is a good idea. I am not positive that even a smaller crate can fix it.

How small is he at 6 months old? If he is very tiny, even with being diligent with outside breaks, he may not be able to hold his bladder all night. Sometimes these ones that are bred to be small and often come from puppy mills come with many behavioral and autonomic issues.

He length is roughly 30 cm (11.8 in). He has improved his behaviour the past few nights . He hasn't peed at all, and when we bring him outside he does all of his bussiness outside. Like we want it
    Thank you for the help everyone!

- - - Updated - - -

He length is roughly 30 cm (11.8 in). He has improved his behaviour the past few nights . He hasn't peed at all, and when we bring him outside he does all of his bussiness outside. Like we want it
    Thank you for the help everyone!

That is strange. Doers he have plenty of water?