Thread: Why does my dog growl at me...?

Registered Junior Puppy Member

Why does my dog growl at me...?

Why does my dog growl at me when I appear at the top of our stairs (as if I were an intruder) while wagging her tail but lets me approach and pet her and then licks me?
    She's a one year old pit bull, very sweet and friendly.

OllieOllieOxenFree Senior Dog Member+ TheDogWhisperer's Avatar
    She may not be growling in aggression. It is hard to know because we are not there to see her behavior.

This behavior should not be tolerated. Absolutely do not pet her while or after she growls at you. Remain at the top of the stairs until she stops growling, and then come downstairs.

Wait to pet her she has stopped growing for at least five seconds.

Sometimes they don't mean it aggressively. My grandpa had a dog who would show her teeth at everyone, but she was the sweetest dog and never tried to bite anyone. Still, I do not think it should be tolerated whether it is meant aggressively or not.
    ❤️ GRCH PR MAM He** Has No Fury Like Yuri. "Yuri." Plott. �� "Ace." German Shepherd x Husky. �� Mr. Sparkles Fantastic. "Oliver." Pem Welsh Corgi. ��

a thousand "hellos" make up for the one "goodbye"

Registered Junior Puppy Member
    I absolutely agree with the above post. You need to teach him how to be calm before you can go down the stairs.

- - - Updated - - -

I absolutely agree with the above post. You need to teach him how to be calm before you can go down the stairs.

Animal Lover Senior Dog Member+ Reyven's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would not approach her while she is growling. Growling should be an alarm to back off (unless done while playing tug or something) and you don't want to approach her one day while she may be growling for a reason and then get bit. You especially don't ever want another person or child to approach her if she is growling so she needs to understand that growling means to stay away and that people won't approach her while she's doing it.
    ~*Forever in my heart*~
    RIP Shadow unk - Aug 2010
    RIP Misty unk - 5 Nov 2011
    RIP Loki Dec 2002-01 Apr 2013

Hey Tr8theda,
    Do you have an update? I'm curious to know how this turned out for you.
    -Chris