Thread: 4 week old puppy Fading Syndrome?

Registered Junior Puppy Member

4 week old puppy Fading Syndrome?

My dog German Shepherd/Malinois mix had 7 puppies almost 4 weeks ago. The sire was a stray dog (by accident due to poor securing of the dog door). However, because we never intended to have her mate we took her to our friends GSD to mate in hopes of getting good breeds in addition to the stray ones.

2 days ago 2 female puppies fell very ill, one more than the other. I took them to th vet in which he administered IV fluids, and also gave me milk replacement + bottle for them to be fed. Though it seemed like they were getting better, unfortunately they got worse. I took them to the vet again and he said one was to late to save in which she had to be put to sleep. The other though was in a better state although she could barely move her limbs but could mov her head.

Iíve stopped feeding the latter from the milk replacement since most online reviews claimed that it worsens a puppies situation and therefore opted for the: ď10oz of evaporated milk + 3 oz water + 1 egg yolk + 1/2 tsp corn syrupĒ as provided by an article on www.leerburg.com. I must say that the puppy has enjoyed it very much and seems to be getting healthier.

Iíve been waiting for her to eliminate since she hasnít for 2 days and after being on this diet for 24 hours she managed to eliminate a nice healthy smooth poo. Also Iíve been feeding her quite often approx every 2-3 hours and as stated in the article from the above website.

However, the other 5 remaining pups are moving around healthily and happily with no problems and are quite energetic. This one isnít. She barely moves at all and still seems somewhat weak when it comes to her legs specifically. Her frontal arms are a bit stronger as in she can pull her self towards things and push away but her legs canít. Just to calrify her legs can move, I lifted her and put only her legs on the floor and they reacted and she very weakly tried to position herself with them, then moved a bit with them slightly but they just feel so weak. Could this be that sheís been starving and is recovering from starvation slowly, or is t an underlying disease that is causing all this. Please help.

ps: sorry for this really long story but just tried to provide as much info to get better answers.

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What does your vet say? I hope youíre working with a vet.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Registered Junior Puppy Member
    Well the vet at first was not exactly sure what as causing it. Yesterday another vet saw her and believes that she might have some form of arthritis developing in her leg joints and arms. He placed her on antibiotics and she’s getting stronger. If it is an arthritis, her mother must’ve put her aside because of it thinking she might not make it. But I am feeding her instead and she’s out of the litter until she can wall normally..

- - - Updated - - -

Well the vet at first was not exactly sure what as causing it. Yesterday another vet saw her and believes that she might have some form of arthritis developing in her leg joints and arms. He placed her on antibiotics and sheís getting stronger. If it is an arthritis, her mother mustíve put her aside because of it thinking she might not make it. But I am feeding her instead and sheís out of the litter until she can wall normally..