Thread: Rough collie girls, spayed, never blow out undercoat

Registered Junior Puppy Member

Rough collie girls, spayed, never blow out undercoat

Hello,
    'I have two rough collies, I brought them with me to the US from England. So they are smaller than US rough collies. Both came from breeders who did not want them any more, and I had both spayed when I got them since I don't intend breed. They are regularly groomed by me and in good condition, but they never shed their undercoats or "blow out". They are not comfortable in the humid hot VA summers, even though I have AC Their outer coat is flowing, and undercoat remains very dense and never comes out in clumps. Is there a way to thin out the undercoat? Or is this to be expected with spayed girls?
    thank you
    alison

Full Member Full Dog Member wliberty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison2 View Post
    Hello,
    'I have two rough collies, I brought them with me to the US from England. So they are smaller than US rough collies. Both came from breeders who did not want them any more, and I had both spayed when I got them since I don't intend breed. They are regularly groomed by me and in good condition, but they never shed their undercoats or "blow out". They are not comfortable in the humid hot VA summers, even though I have AC Their outer coat is flowing, and undercoat remains very dense and never comes out in clumps. Is there a way to thin out the undercoat? Or is this to be expected with spayed girls?
    thank you
    alison
    I have a 3 year old tri color rough collie. He has a blue merle American mom and a tri color European dad. Dakota is at the bottom of the standard height for a male American collie. His undercoat was very dense until I had him groomed. The undercoat should be brushed out but never cut. A groomer brushed out his undercoat. His outer coat remains. Never shave a double coated breed. It insulates them from both heat and cold.He is a certified Therapy Dog.Thank you for rescuing them.
    Attached Images Attached Images