Thread: Pugs and similar breeds

Registered Junior Puppy Member

Pugs and similar breeds

I'm thinking of getting a new dog and I'm thinking about a short-muzzled breed. However with so many reports of breathing problems in breeds like pugs, bulldogs I'm not so sure. Any experience?

Full Member Full Dog Member wliberty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by em34 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a new dog and I'm thinking about a short-muzzled breed. However with so many reports of breathing problems in breeds like pugs, bulldogs I'm not so sure. Any experience?
    Sorry I can't Help you. I have a collie and a Lab. No short noses here.

Registered Junior Puppy Member
    I've read lots of things and the CHief Veterinary surgeon in the UK seems to want them banned: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...n-bad-business

- - - Updated - - -

I've read lots of things and the CHief Veterinary surgeon in the UK seems to want them banned: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/22/pugs-anatomical-disasters-vets-must-speak-out-even-bad-business

OllieOllieOxenFree Senior Dog Member+ TheDogWhisperer's Avatar
    They often do have issues with breathing. Usually, with a well-bred short-nosed dog, they are fine for everyday life. Too much excercise or heat is dangerous for them though, as they struggle to catch their breath.

I’ve known multiple people with pugs and French bulldogs and their dogs lived long lives.
    ❤️ GRCH PR MAM He** Has No Fury Like Yuri. "Yuri." Plott. �� "Ace." German Shepherd x Husky. �� Mr. Sparkles Fantastic. "Oliver." Pem Welsh Corgi. ��

a thousand "hellos" make up for the one "goodbye"

Quote Originally Posted by TheDogWhisperer View Post
    They often do have issues with breathing. Usually, with a well-bred short-nosed dog, they are fine for everyday life. Too much excercise or heat is dangerous for them though, as they struggle to catch their breath.

I’ve known multiple people with pugs and French bulldogs and their dogs lived long lives.
    This. Make sure you buy from a breeder who has taken utmost care to minimise physical issues. Personally I don't understand why people would breed dogs with such physical limitations that can cause them to struggle however they are popular and often have lovely temperaments and a good breeder should be minimising issues.