Thread: Daisy has heart problem

Full Member Full Dog Member

Daisy has heart problem

I can't believe I first posted here before I even brought Daisy home over 14 1/2 years ago. Had a few problems along the way but she beat them all.
    This week I notice a large lump under her ear - we were traveling at the time. When we got to the hotel I immediately phoned a local pet hospital and got an appointment for her. The Vet was wonderful - it turned out to be a large cyst so they drained it and gave me antibiotics. However during her exam the doctor said Daisy had a heart murmur that was very loud. She said when we get home to see Daisy's Vet for follow up. Daisy had been having a little coughing session - just sounded like something was stuck in her throat and it was just a couple of coughs twice a day at the most.

Apparently that is also a sign of the heart problem. She said it would develop into congestive heart failure in time. Daisy is full of life - sleeps a lot but loves to play - just tires faster than before. She isn't in any pain and they cyst is drying up very nicely.

I am wondering if anyone has or had the same thing with their beloved doggie - if so can you tell me what happens re medication etc . I am so worried about her and hope that medication will help her when the time comes and also prolong her life expectancy.

Thank you for any input you may have.

Full Member Full Dog Member wliberty's Avatar

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by daisysmom View Post
    I can't believe I first posted here before I even brought Daisy home over 14 1/2 years ago. Had a few problems along the way but she beat them all.
    This week I notice a large lump under her ear - we were traveling at the time. When we got to the hotel I immediately phoned a local pet hospital and got an appointment for her. The Vet was wonderful - it turned out to be a large cyst so they drained it and gave me antibiotics. However during her exam the doctor said Daisy had a heart murmur that was very loud. She said when we get home to see Daisy's Vet for follow up. Daisy had been having a little coughing session - just sounded like something was stuck in her throat and it was just a couple of coughs twice a day at the most.

Apparently that is also a sign of the heart problem. She said it would develop into congestive heart failure in time. Daisy is full of life - sleeps a lot but loves to play - just tires faster than before. She isn't in any pain and they cyst is drying up very nicely.

I am wondering if anyone has or had the same thing with their beloved doggie - if so can you tell me what happens re medication etc . I am so worried about her and hope that medication will help her when the time comes and also prolong her life expectancy.

Thank you for any input you may have.
    Just wanted to let you know and wish Daisy good luck!

Full Member Full Dog Member
    Thank you for support. It is so great to have this forum.