Thread: what happens if I get asked to a home I have problems with?

Boudiga Senior Dog Member+ Faith's Avatar

what happens if I get asked to a home I have problems with?

sorry, this will be a bit long, but let me back up and explain just a bit.

the Lab rescue group i got Faith from requires each potential adopter to get a home visit to make sure that what they said on their application is the truth, and that the home environment is a good one.

i have been doing some of the home visits in my home town for them, and i love knowing that i'm helping homeless labbies find new families. i have a first say on whether the home/family is appropriate for adoption, and then the folks at the rescue group can do a more thorough investigation if needed.

so far, i have had nothing but positive experiences. however, i know there may come a time that i either get to a house that is unsuitable or meet people that should not get a dog.

has anyone else done this or something similar? and how did you handle it if you came in contact with folks that you knew should not have pets?
    Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, filling an emptiness we don't even know we have.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can be tactful and still firm. Just tell them that their situation now isn't suited for the rescue's requirements. You aren't there to judge them as people just whether they get a dog from the rescue. Nothing would stop them from going elsewhere and buying one. That is not for you to say. If they ask you could make recommendations for changes.

unfortunately, you're right, that if this particular rescue group won't give someone a dog, it doesn't mean they won't go get them from the pound.

as for the actual visit, i should have been clearer. i am not required to actually say anything to the people while i'm at their home. but, each time i've done these, i get asked if they "passed."

there may be a time where i just know i'm not going to recommend a family getting a dog, and i would feel weird about lying. i mean, if i notice something way off, why not tell them that i think xyz is a bad situation for the dog, or that it won't meet the criteria for the rescue group?

so, being tactful, and possibly giving some hints may be the way to go.
    Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, filling an emptiness we don't even know we have.

Dobermonster Mom Senior Dog Member+ dobermom's Avatar
    I also do home visits.
    I have not had any turn out to be bad. I am sure I will get one thats not so good. If you feel comfortable telling them the issue, I would say if you can tell them in a nice way, do so. Personally, I like to play low man on the totem pole. I act as if I have very little weight, and final decisions are above my head. I just dont want any more drama, or stress.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OPT TO ADOPT

You need to speak up and if they are not suitable then say so. You owe it to the dogs.

If you are volunteering for the lab group that I am thinking of (labs4rescue) - then good for you - they are VERY understaffed. My friend got a lab from them and they NEVER did any follow visits or even follow up calls or e-mails.
    A Lab and two Border Collies - can it get any better than this......

Tactfully, as Dax already said, and honestly--you need to feel good about your decisions after they are made. If you recommended a place that in your heart you know wouldn't be suitable you would feel awful for a long time. I would think that if people have gone as far as having someone come to their home to evaluate them, they are probably an OK family. Most people who wouldn't be good pet owners would probably get their dogs through a more private way.
    HASTA LA VIZSLA, BABY!!
    Dash Jan 28/05-Oct 08/10

Asphalt Cowboy Senior Dog Member+ GSR Trucker's Avatar
    I have done some home visits as well. If I see a red flag I come straight forward with it in a tactful way. "I would suggest you change abc. Perhaps you could xyz." Most the time the folks are willing to do what is needed to meet the rescue's policies. And if you are unsure, it is OK to pass the buck and turn it over to a more experianced person.

The GSD rescue I'm with requires that all dogs we place sleep inside the house, and are absolutely NOT to be "guard dogs". I had one situation where the folks were dead set against the dog sleeping inside. They wanted him outside overnight so he could "keep watch." Nothing I could say changed their minds, but I couldn't figure out how to tell them they needed to look elsewhere and still sound polite. I handed it off to a senior volounteer.
    Never mind the dog...
    Beware of owner!!

it is Labs4Rescue, and i know they are horribly understaffed. they haven't done any calling or following up on us after 2 months of having our dog. it's one of the reasons i want to help them out - their volunteers are already stretched.

and, thanks for the input so far. it would be rather easy to play the low man on the totem pole game - because it's mostly true.