Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding questions

pits mean love Senior Dog Member+

Breeding questions

ok i am a bit confused i have heard tons of do's and don'ts on breeding dogs, i've heard it's ok to breed mother to son daughter to father but not sister to brother which is true. I am curious not plan on breeding i just want to clear up some confusion. Also isn't it better to simply not breed relatives because you breed bad traits back in to pups?
    birds, and dogs, and cats oh my

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    When you inbreed (brother/sister mother/son) you will emphesis all strong points from your line, good and bad. When I look at my Beuceron, who is inbred he has some beautiful points, He has wonderful movement, type, bone, and coat/color. But his eyes are almost yellow, an undesirable quality in the breed, If his mom had been bred to a dog that was unrelated to her, seeing as yellow eyes are a recissive trait it would note have been seen.

Here is a punnett square to better explain, I will use the letter "E"

inbreeding
    E_____ e

E EE_____ Ee
    -
    -
    e Ee______ Ee

Out crossing

E______ E

E EE_____ EE
    -
    -
    e Ee______ Ee

ee is Haunter, with his yellow eyes. Haunter's family is know for light eyes, but no line is perfect. The second punnett square is what would have happened if Haunters mom was bred to an unrelated dog with proper eyes. But, as you can see except for 1/4 of the pups in Haunters litter all of them have or are carries for light eyes.

Line breeding is better, generally you have more "new blood" in the lines.
    Last edited by rottiegirl; 08-22-2005 at 04:44 PM.
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Line breeding is not any closer than third generation of the pedigree or your inbreeding which it totally bad and the AKC does not like it but tolerates it to get money.
    It is much better if u want to strengthen your lines no farther than third generation and I have not even tried this as a Top German Breeder as I do not want any health issues to errupt from the lines should there be any it will come through quickly than just breeding straight.
    I do not inbreed for my sister did this only to dispose of litters gased on a tail pipe of an auto sweet pups that could not even get on their back legs, of course she did not xray hips n elbows and her pups were cute to look at but health wise horrible.
    She had many law suits against her till she tried 3 times to kill herself over what I warned her not to do.

Senior Dog Member+
    Are you planning on breeding dogs?

Lean, That is soooo right. Inbreeding is totally bad to do or try. Linebreeding from third generation is ok, but I do not even try that as it just does not seem right to me?
    I would never never breed a daughter to father, or son to sister, etc. YAKKK

pits mean love Senior Dog Member+
    Quote Originally Posted by leann2078
    ok i am a bit confused i have heard tons of do's and don'ts on breeding dogs, i've heard it's ok to breed mother to son daughter to father but not sister to brother which is true. I am curious not plan on breeding i just want to clear up some confusion. Also isn't it better to simply not breed relatives because you breed bad traits back in to pups?
    barnjess reread post please
    birds, and dogs, and cats oh my

Here is a link that explains it quite easily and nicely. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions about it:
    http://www.mbfs.com/compuped/bell.asp
    Patty Lemke
    www.countrysidebreeders.com
    Breeder of German Shorthaired Pointers

*Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about puppies.*

Senior Dog Member+
    Woops sorry just re read it LOL

Loves Karma Senior Dog Member+ rutylr's Avatar
    Some breeders will breed that close knowing they could end up with all the faults or alot of great puppies.I myself have never bred that close.Aunt/nephew is as close as I have ever done.
    Donna
    SG2,URO1,GRCH,UCI Intl CH Kendall HIC,RN,RL1,AOE-L1,CW-ZR1,CW-SR
    BIS,RBIS,RBIMBS,V,UCI Intl/UKC/CH,URO3, ARCHX Buckwheat RLPX,AOE-P,RE,CW-ZR1,CW-SR,HIC,BN,RL1X,AOE-1,RL2X,AOE-2,CAX,Total dog
    VP3,UCI Intl/UKC/AKC CH, URO1 Darla HIC,CA,Total dog

Lean,
    Do NOT inbreed...........PERIOD.
    I am telling u i could take up board time to post horrible stores of the endings of.
    Line breeding is dangerous enough at third closet to use, My German friends told me how to safely do this, but I do NOT do it. I breed totally different set of parents. I get good healthy puppies with no issues to deal with in selling them when of age.
    I have been breeding dogs for many years of many breeds, but only since 1998 the West German Lines after I researched them alot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast