Thread: Labrador Rescue in Southern England

Worriaholic Senior Dog Member+ BabyElephant's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Labrador Rescue in Southern England

I have decided to help out with the Labrador Rescue that covers my area and Southern England (pretty big area for the UK). I am doing homechecks on people who want to take a dog and also dog checks on dogs that need rehoming. We work on the basis of trying to keep the dogs that need rehoming in their current environment until a new home is found unless this is not possible. I haven't had to do any checks yet but have had loads of paperwork to get in order ready for when I do!

Anyway, in the last week alone 5 dogs have come up for rehoming. Two need to go together, but at the moment we have nobody who wants to take two dogs. Another one was an 7 month old puppy whose owner could no longer cope with him due to her being 8 months pregnant and having a toddler as well (so she kept him locked up all day in the kitchen) and then the last two were 10 and 12 week old puppies. The 12 week old puppy went back to the breeder but the 10 week old one could not be returned to the breeder as he has a lot of health problems (was the result of an accidental breeding).

Anyway, hopefully we'll manage to find these dogs new homes but the one that concerns me the most is the 10 week old with health problems. It is likely that nobody will want him so the charity will keep him and hopefully raised enough money from sponsorship to keep him in foster care. I know that I can't expect for us to help every single dog that comes to us but I'm hoping that my bit of assistance will make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    Lipsticks are lost everyday but love is forever

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What a wonderful way to help. It's amazing how many animals aren't as well loved or cared for as those owned by members of this forum.

Dobermonster Mom Senior Dog Member+ dobermom's Avatar
    BabyE, your hard work will help!
    It is a very frustrating thing sometimes, try not to let situations upset you.
    Remember you cant help them all, but the ones you do help will appreciate EVERYTHING you do for them.
    In the year or so I have been active with the Doberman rescue, I have seen and heard some horrible things. Just keep a positive attitude, dont let horror stories bring you down.
    Best of luck to you!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OPT TO ADOPT

Dobermonster Mom Senior Dog Member+ dobermom's Avatar
    I forgot to ask....When is Poppy getting a brother or sister?

I will guarantee it happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OPT TO ADOPT

Boudiga Senior Dog Member+ Faith's Avatar
    i do the same for a Lab rescue group here in Connecticut and it's actually wonderful knowing that you're helping in any small way. i also get so upset when i realize just how many dogs there are that need rescuing.

my husband often says he's glad we don't have a huge amount of acreage or he'd be overrun with labbies, and he's right!
    Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, filling an emptiness we don't even know we have.

Worriaholic Senior Dog Member+ BabyElephant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dobermom
    I forgot to ask....When is Poppy getting a brother or sister?

I will guarantee it happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's funny you should say that, I'm actually hoping that in the course of my duties I will come across the perfect brother or sister for her . Hubby keeps talking about getting another one... hee hee - I can't wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    Lipsticks are lost everyday but love is forever