Thread: Allergies

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

My beagle has allergies in her feet. The vets can't seem to give me a reason for it. Recently her feet have gotten pretty bad and had to be cleaned and shaved. Anyone have a problem like this? They gave her a shot and some cream to put on. The vet said something about hot spots what are they?

Full Member Full Dog Member

Hi there Toni and welcome
    This snippet of information may help you out....
    Superficial pyoderma, a skin infection known to veterinarians as pyotraumatic dermatitis and to dog owners as hot spots. Hot spots are surface skin infections caused when populations of normal skin bacteria grow and overwhelm normal resistance. They are generally circular patches that lose hair, can be swollen, may exude a smelly pus, and can be painfully itchy, causing the dog to scratch, lick, or bite to the point of self-mutilation. Untreated hot spots can spread and provoke a normally even-tempered dog to growl or nip when touched.

These troublesome sores can seem to arise in a matter of hours with no warning, but they do tend to follow a pattern that helps in predicting their occurrence.

Dogs most susceptible to hot spots are those with heavy coats and histories of allergies, ear infections, flea infestations, irritated anal sacs, and grooming problems such as hair tangles and mats, but any dog can develop this infection. Dogs in warm, humid climates may develop hot spots when they shed their undercoats if the dead hair is trapped next to the skin, and dogs with behavior problems may mutilate themselves by licking and thus encourage an infection to become established.

The most common locations for hot spots are the legs and feet, flanks, and rump — areas that can be reached by licking or biting — but these localized infections can also appear on ears, neck, and chest if the dog is continually scratching.

Hopefully this will have made things a little clearer for you [img]smile.gif[/img]

Okay, I've seen this before (at least it sounds very familiar). I groom a chow mix (Lucille). her paws were always red and puffy. Let me tell ya, it was always a battle to get her nails done - her feet were so inflamed, she limped!

The vets couldn't figure it out, and nothing they prescribed worked. Since all other methods had been exhausted, we tried colloidal silver. In liquid form, just fill a open ended syringe with the silver and squirt it on the affected areas. Then gently rub it in. It worked for Lucille within a week. We've seen similar "miracles" from colloidal silver... it's all natural, and it doesn't use chemicals or drugs to do its job. Colloidal silver is available at most health food stores (or holistic groceries/co-ops). Try it, it might* work!

*and when i say "might", I mean probably. Just apply the silver 3x per day until it clears up.

If your vet can't give you the right information you should think about changing to one that can give you more help.
    ¤Dog Expert¤

Thanks so much for the info. She's been back to vet again for her feet and lameness in one of her legs. Her paw looks a little better but it continues to be a problem. Now she's on Rimadyl for her back leg.

Aww I'm sorry to hear that. I really hope she gets better soon, please keep us updated, I will be cheering for her all the way!
    ¤Dog Expert¤