Thread: Confused About Blue Eyes on Blue Heeler

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Confused About Blue Eyes on Blue Heeler

I have a full blooded blue heeler that I love and recently bred her to another full blooded heeler. She had 11 puppies, which was a lot, and now they are 4 weeks old and I have three puppies that have one blue/glass eye. I wa wondering if this is in the breed any because I have had these kind of dogs all of my life and never seen one with blue eyes. The other eyes have changed already and these are still sky blue. Anyone got any comments? Thanks

Are both eyes blue or just one?

-Cristy

Just one of them

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.
    I have never seen one with blue eyes either and there is no mention of it in the CKC standards, which are usually the same as the AKC standards. So taking that in account I would assume it is a disqualifying trait and a rescessive gene if they are truely pure breds. All the ACD's( aka blue heeler) I have seen have brown eyes.

Australian Cattle Dog

Multiple BISS Ch. Reddenblu's Howdya Like Me Now HS, CGN. History-making, record-breaking No. 1 ACDs in Canada. Bred/owned by Joyce, Cliff and Rebekka Redden, Reddenblu Perm. Reg'd, McCluskey Dr., R.R. 3, Thunder Bay, ON P7C 4V2.

Origin: Australian stockmen needed a tough, silent herding dog to control wild range cattle. Breeders began with blue merle Smooth Collies and added a variety of breeds starting with the native Dingo, then the Australian-developed Kelpie and finally the Dalmatian, to instill the ability to work with horses. Type was stabilized by 1903. The breed underwent a series of names including Queensland Heeler, Blue Heeler, Australian Heeler and finally Australian Cattle Dog.

Temperament: Alert, watchful, brave and protective, the breed makes an excellent watchdog.

Activity level: A true working dog, the Australian Cattle Dog likes to keep busy and should have daily exercise.

Height/Weight: Adult males measure up to 20 in (51 cm) at the shoulder and weigh from 33-50 lb (15-22.5 kg).

Coat: The outer coat is short, straight and medium coarse. The undercoat is soft and close-fitting.

Colour: Either red or blue speckle is acceptable. The dog may have a coloured mask surrounding the eyes and may also carry tan markings on the forelegs, the jaws and the hindquarters, on the inside of the hind legs, showing down the front of the stifles.

Grooming: Regular brushing will keep the coat neat and healthy but there's no special grooming needed.
    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That young, lots of puppies will have blue eyes. It kind of looks like cataracts... darker though. I don't know about just one eye.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Crazy Photographer Senior Dog Member+ Midlifeloki's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i work at an animal shetler and we get alot of blue heeler pups and adults with one blue and one brown eye

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlifeloki
    i work at an animal shetler and we get alot of blue heeler pups and adults with one blue and one brown eye
    Yes, but are they pure breds ?
    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

1 wags, 1 wiggles Senior Dog Member+ RiverKayleesMuM's Avatar
    Many many heelers these days have blue eye(s). It is usually on the ones that are deaf but every once in a while a perfectly fine heeler will have 1 or 2 blue eyes.
    Come on, lets dance!

Thanks for all of the info. I don't really know what's up with them. I know they are full blooded because I have papers on them, and I really don't think they are deaf. They all come when you call and they are all healthy and alert. I guess it is just one of those freak things! We don't show around here where I'm from. Just use them as work dogs or pets. I just hope that they can be registered without any problems. They will be 5 weeks tom. so I think that there eyes should of changed by now if they were going to. Thanks!