Thread: dogs not coming into heat

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

dogs not coming into heat

I have 2 females, one Aussie and one Lab. They havent come into heat since Jan of this year. The Aussie did have a litter from that heat but the Lab didnt. Both of these females are under 2 years old. We have the studs here also. Can anyone tell me what the reasons might be that they arent coming back into heat? We live in NC, and I thought the extreme heat might have something to do with it. Any info would be appreciated

First of all dogs should not even be bred till two years, the hips n elbows should be OFA certified A normal or A Fast Normal.

If they were in heat in Jan and one had a litter, it must of been only little over a year old?? And, some females only cycle once a year, the mith of dogs cycling every six months is just not so nor is a 21 day heat cycle so.
    I have females the swell first week of heats, drips a few days, ready to stand and it might only be the tenth day of total heat days, if u do not know your girls they can slip out quick as they come in and u missed her.

I have been breeding dogs for many many years, I am probably the oldest member her at 67 years. I bred, trained and showed horses for some 35 years before really going into serious dog breeding. I do believe in keeping with the standard with my West German Shepherds, to keep the size normal, to keep the weight normal and have excellent lines and a stud to cover faults the female has to use on her. Do NOT rely on days and months, for females can cycle way off and not at all for long periods. I know I post up a female is to be in heat so n so month, she goes on for another 8 months ........no heat. One cannot predict a heat nor when nor how long.

This is where AI comes in handy, but our small town my vets want no parts of handling nor storing or responsibility of. So, I am left to keep a sharp eye a dog calendar, and a constant check on each girl and I have 5 of them. Use your own judegment, do not rely on others as breeding is very riskea, stressful and dangerous as is whelping puppies.

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar
    A dog under two years old shouldn't be bred as, shep said, but also it is hard to predict how often a dog goes into heat when she is that young and has already been bred. How many cycles has each bitch had? How far apart are they? Has it been consistant? There can be plenty of factors that can influence a bitch's cycle that you need to be in tune to.
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Full Member Full Dog Member
    My bitch when she first came into season came in at 9 months then came in every year for 2 years after that. Then she came in every 9 months after that. It is like a human, you arent regular after you start to have your period, neither is a dog, and some never get regular. A dog should NEVER be bred before 2 years and Testing is a must if you are going to be a responsible breeder. Also you don't want to bred a bitch everytime she comes into season Two to three times in her life time is all she needs to be bred.
    Last edited by AroHawk Collies; 09-12-2005 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Addition
    Kids and Collies... a match made in Heaven

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    Some dogs only come into heat once a year, and like Shepherd said she NEVER should have been bred that young, she may be ruined now as a breeding dog, some females reproductive systems will literally "shut down" under extreme circumstances (ie. BEING BRED TOO YOUNG!)
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

The first female was caught accidentally by our stud dog. She came into heat and we didnt catch it, but the stud sure did. As for the second dog, the Lab, she has only come into heat once, Jan 2005, wasnt bred, and still hasnt come back into heat since then. It was always my understanding that dogs came into heat every 6 months, even if they catch and have a litter. My vet does seem to concur. Reading your responses has been an insight. Thanks for the info and anymore responses will be appreciated.

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    Dogs come into heat every six months approxometly. Poor nutrition can couse loss of heats, as well.
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Our dogs are anything but having poor nutrition. Most are overweight but not drastically. They have free feed most times cause I believe in feeding twice a day, and most of the time they dont eat all that is put out for them. Our studs do run with the females all the time, but the females are locked up in their pens at night. I am now keeping a close eye on both females, due to a little interest by the Aussie stud in the Aussie female. Our other Aussie comes into heat like clock work..every six months. She just had a litter on August 20th of 2 red merle males, 2 blue merle females and one red tri. We only breed our dogs once per year, but the 2 that arent coming into heat were bought just so that we could give each dog a year break from whelping.
    Anyways, thanks for all the info and anymore suggestions will be appreciated.