Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Bone Fragments!

Help! Bone Fragments!

This morning I found bone fragments scattered about my yard. I had two marrow bones out in the yard for the dogs. They are raw and the dogs chewed the marrow out and meat off a week or two ago. Buster likes to lick the bones even after the goodies are gone so I left them out there for him. The fragments are about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. I found the other bone whole and the number of fragments does not add up to what I should have for the other bone. The edges of the bone fragments are not frayed but look like clean cuts, at first I thought it was a wierd rock. If my dogs ate any of these fragments will it harm them and if so what should I do?
    "Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted, but to weigh and consider." --Francis Bacon

I have had the same type of panic when Murphy stole and ate a whole cooked chicken. I'd watch the dogs to make sure nothing is wrong, i.e. vomitting, not eating, blood in stool, not as active as should be. Most often nothing happens, it's that once in a while we worry about. You may also want to give you Vet a call to see what he says.

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.
    Uncooked bones will be digested, it is the cooked bones you need to worry about. Our dogs eat raw bones and never have trouble with them.

Raw bones have a softer structure and can be broken down in a dogs stomach. Cooked bones change their molecular structure and become hard and brittle.

Don't worry you should be just fine.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

hi ayla, met you in the chatroom last night....found pix of the doggies and they are SOOO precious! love them both! we give our Bonesey the big ole bones to eat...but we boil them. more and more i am seeing that this is NOT good....i will talk to my husband about going raw...how does one eliminate bacteria when not cooked? will the freezer work? then what happens after they thaw?

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Your dogs might end up throwing them back up if they are too big to pass thru the digestive system. I would just keep an eye on them if they start projectile vomiting, or straining during a poop. I don't think you need to worry too much.

You might want to get larger marrow bones in the future.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Dax. Watch him for a few days...

I don't know how long you want to leave bones outside for either... things can live in them, and I suppose weather (temp changes night/day) could affect (weaken) the bones molecular structure as well. Can never be too careful with bones.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBones
    but we boil them. more and more i am seeing that this is NOT good....i will talk to my husband about going raw...how does one eliminate bacteria when not cooked? will the freezer work? then what happens after they thaw?
    Do not worry about the bacteria on the bones when they are raw. A dogs stomach acids are so strong they will kill most bacteria and also a dog is built to eat RAW and they do not get sick like us humans do from RAW meat or bones.

We have been feeding RAW for years with our two Dobes, we have never had any instances of bacteria poisoning. We feed RAW bones, chicken, beef , you name it. No problems.

Yup, Dax is right about the pieces , if they are too bug the dog may throw them up. I have had our do that, especially with Horse toes after the farrier had been here to trim out horses.

what about the "bad stuff" that is in meat because of the bad things us humans do in processing and raising of the beef? stuff that is unnatural.....anything to be concerned about there? do you just buy big ole beef bones in the market and give them right to the dog? do you freeze them first? do you freeze them for storage? cook = bad....raw = good?

i love this forum...so helpful for me to be a good mommy to my boy...

Having a Baby Boy! Senior Dog Member+ Nightrise's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree, just keep a close watch. Dogs can eat raw bones but of course, sometimes things do happen but I'm sure nothing wrong will present itself but keep a watch to be safe. As for leaving bones outside, I dunno about you guys but if my dog doesn't finish hers up within a few days we throw them out because we attract ants with them. Ants aren't fun.
    What's the point of running when you're already caught in the rain? Saturate with bleak dank bliss; no care in the world... I'm bleak--very bleak. Just happy to be me.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBones
    what about the "bad stuff" that is in meat because of the bad things us humans do in processing and raising of the beef? stuff that is unnatural.....anything to be concerned about there? do you just buy big ole beef bones in the market and give them right to the dog? do you freeze them first? do you freeze them for storage? cook = bad....raw = good?

i love this forum...so helpful for me to be a good mommy to my boy...
    Do you mean anti biotics given to cattle ? Any human grade beef , chicken or other kind of meat is fine for you dog. It is the stuff they use to make commercial dog food that can be bad. The lower the price the more awful stuff they put in that bag of dog kibble or cans of dog food.

Cooked bones are bad. Raw bones are not. I only give our dogs the big meaty marrow bones or fermor ( thigh bones ) from cattle. I feed our dogs on a regular basis chicken necks ( raw ) they love them. I do on ocassion give them turkey necks but not too often. If you give your dog these ( turkey necks ) please please please supervise them, they can choke on them. They try to swallow them whole and they are big. You can cut the turkey neck down in size but it is not the easiest thing to do. So I don't give much anymore because of fear of choke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast