Thread: Help needed

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

I wonder if anyone could suggest a dog that would be suitable for someone in a wheelchair who lives on their own. I am capable of taking a dog for a walk as long as its not too big and headstrong. I live in my own bungalow but only have a yard, not a garden. I'm used to Jacks and Poodles when I lived with someone but now I'm alone I'm thinking Jacks might be a bit too boisterous. Any help/advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Senior Dog Member

I think any breed of dog would be alright - as long as it was trained well. Sometimes the larger breed dogs are a little calmer (at least they have been in my experience). Also - try searching shelters and breed rescues. Most of the times the employees and volunteers will help find the right dog for you.

Full Member Full Dog Member

Good advice from Fullhouse..... the obedience and socializing is the key factor, not the size. Sometimes the big ones are the "coach potatoes" and the little guys are pistols. Rescuing a dog is such a rewarding experience. They seem to understand what you have done for them and give that extra sense of loyalty. All the dog-pals we have had in the past 50 years have been either strays, rescues or shelters.... have not had a disappointment yet. Freckles became a member of our family 2 1/2 years ago at age 6 weeks. She was at a flea market and headed for the pound. (White/red flecked border collie/red heeler mix). She creates attention wherever we take her... and what a love...loves people. But, got her into puppy obedience from the get go and a few advance classes, just because she is so smart and it was fun to see what she could do. Go for it... all you've got to lose is your heart.

[ November 27, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Freckles ]
    Lou in Texas

my aunt is the kind of lady that likes lap dogs and she always seems to have teacup poodles. they are smaller than a toy (about 3 lbs) and they are the sweetest, most loyal and loving dogs! plus very low maintenence. good breed i think!
    You don't know love until you know a border collie!

I would have to say that poodles are anything but low maintainance.

teacup poodles really are. at least my aunt's last three have been
    You don't know love until you know a border collie!

I'm sorry, but I disagree, if nothing else grooming them takes so much time, energy, and money. Teacup poodles are more of a responsiblity because of increased health problems.

Full Member Full Dog Member

Alot of labs are very good animals, maybe a more mature one from 2-3 yrs old. i would also go to my local rescue group and search.
    *aSh*<br /><br />"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies." -Gene Hill

Senior Dog Member

I think that any dog that requires routine clipping is high maintenance. Course I guess I'm kind of a nut - because I got a Husky. He takes a lot of brushing (but he's worth it)