Thread: Potty Prob. with 9yr old Doxie-Poo

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Thumbs down

I have a 9 year old Doxie-Poo (who we adopted from a pet shelter 3 years ago). 'Fluke' has started peeing on my bed! I'm pretty sure it's a dominance issue, but I'm not sure what I can do about it. I realize it could be from age, but usually when he has an 'accident' he makes sure to do it in the bathroom next to the litter box. Now, (within the past 2 weeks) he's begun to pee on my bed, as well as my kids' beds. I've tried scolding him and putting him out when I've caught him and it's not helping.

My husband and I have decided if we can't get him to stop within the next couple of weeks he's going to have to go. I love him dearly and would hate to give him up but this is just not something I can live with. Crating him is not an option as his previous owners were abusive with the crate. (The shelter told us this after we tried to crate him and he went crazy and actually wound up hurting himself.)

Please if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate hearing them!
    Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Full Member Full Dog Member

How about having him check out by a vet first. There could be a physcial problem with your dog.
    Love Me, Love My Dog!

Senior Dog Member

Definately get your dog checked out by a vet. Also - try locking him out of the bedrooms.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Well, we haven't taken Fluke to the vet yet, but I think we may have figured out his problem!

Over the summer we moved into the mountains and don't like to leave Fluke outside for very long since there are bears, mountain lions, bobcats, etc. in the area and as a 5 lb. dog, he could very easily become a snack.

Well over the past couple weeks the kids have been doing quite a lot of playing outside in the snow and when they go out they normally take Daisy (our Lab) with them but leave Fluke in because he'll take off if you don't keep a REALLY close eye on him. Over the weekend, Dan (my husband) and I have been making sure Fluke gets more attention when the kids are outside with Daisy, and the peeing has stopped!

I'm thinking he was feeling neglected and peeing on my bed was his way of getting attention. Since the weekend, he's only peed in the house once (Friday night), and that was in his customary spot next to the litter box. (Which for me, is an acceptable spot if he's going to have an accident, since the floor is linoleum and easy to clean up!)

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me! I really love this board!
    Happiness isn't getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Senior Dog Member

Glad to hear the peeing has stopped. Keep up with the attention you're giving him - that sounds like it may be what was causing it.